About UsDon Battaglia is an accomplished litigator practicing in state and federal courts throughout the Chicago area. With extensive experience as a litigator at one of Chicago's major litigation law firms, he has successfully represented a diverse clientele in a broad range of legal disputes. Representative clients include San Diego Gas and Electric, Utility Dynamics Corp., Harlem-Irving Plaza, Krueger-Ringier, Inc., Inland Corporation, Lewis Engineering Co., Kroch's & Brentano's, Inc., Bauer Corpration, Robertson-Ceco Corporation, MidWest Construction Services, Inc., Motorola, Ross-Llewellyn, Inc., United Airlines, Johnson & Wilson Architects, Union Bank of Switzerland, The MacArthur Foundation, and Ruger Firearms. Don has also represented JMB Properties Urban Co., counseling on lease issues and coordinating litigation for eight of their major area shopping malls, including Water Tower Place, One Mag Mile, Old Orchard, Hawthorne Plaza and Louis Joliet Mall.
Since founding the Law Offices of Donald C. Battaglia, Ltd., Don has been able to offer "big firm" skills to the individual and small business owner. Don approaches every case with his client's long and short-term objectives in mind. His goal in every matter is to achieve, through diligent preparation, investigation, and research, a clear understanding of the facts, the applicable law, and the strengths and weaknesses of the client's situation, and ultimately, obtain the most favorable result for the client as quickly and in the most cost-effective manner as possible.
Representative examples of Don's diverse litigation experience include:
- Heading the legal team representing a principal contractor in a $30 mil. lawsuit over the construction of Cook County Jail dormitories.
- Successfully litigating and ultimately winning an appeal before the U.S.Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit involving the passing of art forgeries to the general public.
- Obtaining a six-figure jury award against a department store whose security guards assaulted a gay customer and then falsely accused him of solicitation as a cover-up.
- Successfully defending a multi-million dollar fraud claim against the long-term girlfriend of a troubled movie/television celebrity.
- Obtaining a million dollar payout from a major insurance company that initially denied a wrongful death claim under the client's umbrella insurance policy.
- Advising start-up companies during the business formation process, including incorporation and preparation of shareholder and operating agreements.
- Advising individuals and small business owners in connection with purchases and sales of businesses.
- Counseling entrepreneurs, medical professionals, solar energy equipment manufacturers, real estate and property management companies, web design firms, construction companies, real estate developers.
- Drafting and assisting in the negotiation of employment agreements for small businesses and heads of elite private educational institutions.
- Representing both purchasers and sellers of shopping centers and commercial / industrial real estate.
Don received his J.D. with honors from John Marshall Law School, where he was the executive managing editor of The John Marshall Law Review and member of the Order of John Marshall and the Gavel Society. Don is the author of "Privacy Rights and Cordless Telephones - The Fourth Amendment Is Put On Hold", published in the John Marshall Law Review, 19 J.Mar.L.Rev. 1087 (1986).
Public and Professional Associations Include:
- Chairman, Lake Forest Plan Commission - (1991-1998)
- Chairman, Lake Forest Municipal Services Committee - (1998-1999)
- Lake Forest School District 67 Operations Committee - (2006 – 2010)
- Illinois Real Estate Lawyers Association
- Chair-certified arbitrator, Circuit Courts of Cook and Lake Counties
- Illinois State Bar Association, member real estate committee
- Chicago Bar Association
- Lake County Bar Association
- Trial Bar, United States Court, Northern District of Illinois